Using David Allen’s GTD method, we’re going to look at the process for how to create actionable goals in your business.
Firstly, let’s pick an example everyone can relate to – being hungry!
‘I’m hungry! I’ve got to get something to eat’ – this is your vague goal
‘I’m craving…Chinese food’ – specify your goal
‘What Chinese food to I want to eat?’ – brainstorm your ideas on your Mind Map
‘I want noodles and sweet and sour chicken’ – choose your ideas & subtasks
‘I’ll call to arrange a delivery’ – figure out a concrete action step to achieve your goal
Let’s choose the example of updating your website and we’ll go through how this should look:
1. On your Projects List should be your vague goal and your more specific goal to start with.
- Update Website (vague goal)
- Update my About Me Page (specific goal)
2. Use Your Mind Map to brainstorm ideas
3. Back on your Projects List, add in subtasks to do
- Paragraph about me (bio)
- Photo of me and me at work
- Call to action
4. On your Waiting On List, you’ll add:
- Contact photographer for personal branding photoshoot OR
- Get photos from photographer on **/**/**
5. Lastly, it’s time to list your concrete action steps on your Daily Action Steps List:
- Write paragraph about me and what I can do for my customers
- Add a compelling call to action
‘Updating your website’ or even just your About Me page can seem like a huge task, requiring lots of effort, time and knowledge; but spending 10 minutes writing your bio and explaining how you can help others is much easier to accomplish.
Don’t forget to download your FREE set of Lists & the FREE Mind Map here!