HOW TO START & GROW YOUR EMAIL LIST
MODULE 1: CREATION
What we’ll cover in Module 1:
> How to create a new email list from scratch
> How to get subscribers to join your email list
> The best way to create a real relationship with each member of your list
1. First & foremost, you must set up an Email Service Provider (ESP) if you don’t already have one.
I’ve used both in my own businesses and they are amazing. MadMimi has a free plan for up to 100 subscribers, is super easy to set up and their customer support is the best ever.
MailChimp is free for up to 2,000 subscribers! It can be a little trickier to figure out their groups / segmentation options, but for just building standard lists (which is all you’ll need to do right now) it’s as easy as pie! MailChimp also allows you to create a Landing Page which is something you will need tomorrow!
2. Now we get into the fun stuff - creating your incentive!
To get people to subscribe to your email list, you must provide something of value to them. You must give them something of interest, relevant and preferably, will help solve a problem for them.
If this is your first Incentive, I recommend creating something quick and easy, as this will need to be finished today.
Start thinking about what your INCENTIVE will be.
A few ideas:
- Free Template
- Product sample
- Free Report
- Top Tips
The best way to create a real relationship with each member of your list
Everyone hates spammy emails or emails that are slimy or salesy, so you must always write genuine and authentic emails that provide value to your readers.
When people sign up for Notton House Academy, I do something in my welcome email which starts building trust and authenticity from day one.
How do I do this? I say one thing:
“There is a real person behind the emails you receive (hey there, I'm Lesley!) so, hit reply to this email now and tell me a bit about yourself and your business! I'd love to get to know you a bit better so please don't be shy!
Adding in these few simple lines tells them that I’m a real person that will actually read and respond to their emails. I’m not a robot, with a ‘do not reply’ email address. It encourages my subscribers to engage with me and ask me for help or advice.
Email lists work two ways - you must make your list work for you by asking for what you need and complete the loop by giving your subscribers what they need.
Note: When you get to Action Step 3 below, you will need to make a choice
You can either send their free gift (your Incentive) straight away if it’s a template, checklist, eBook etc
You can write a set of emails to send over a period of time if your Incentive was something bigger, like a course or daily/weekly challenge.
If you chose a bigger Incentive, you will need to write & set up several emails.
- Choose your email service provider & set up your account: Click here to start with MadMimi OR here (affiliate link) to start with MailChimp
- Create a List (something like ‘Master List’ or ‘**** Sign ups’
- Write your Welcome Email & include a short sentence to go at the end to encourage engagement and start building a relationship with your subscribers
- Set the Welcome Email to go out automatically when someone subscribes to your list. (Just follow the steps in Mail Chimp or Mad Mimi to do this)
- Create your Incentive! Choose one of the ideas listed above or create your own incentive. You’ll need this completely finished before we move on to tomorrow's task!